Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears
Kathleen Reeder Wildlife Photography is an Authorized Permittee of the National Park Service.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Intermediate Amateurs, Advanced Amateurs, Professionals
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: You need to be experienced with your camera to make suggested setting changes in the field without hands-on assistance and comprehend the rationale behind the recommended settings (including exposure mode, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, focus mode, white balance, assessing histogram and highlight information, and making corresponding exposure compensation changes). This is not a workshop to learn how to use your camera.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Participants must be in good health. You must be able to carry your gear without assistance. There will be no exceptions to these requirements.
Participants will be required to sign the Kathleen Reeder Wildlife Photography Risk Waiver.
Join professional wildlife photographers/instructors Kathleen Reeder and Marc Latremouille for an incredible 7 night/6-day photo workshop in Katmai National Park to photograph coastal brown bears. (1 night in Kodiak, Alaska; 6 nights aboard private chartered boat) They are only a few places on this planet that you can safely photograph (on land and eye level) and experience wild coastal brown bears in their natural habitat. Katmai National Park provides just that and more! Bears gather in numbers in the bays and along the coast of Katmai feeding on sedge grasses and digging for clams. Our perfect wild natural photographic studio!
This tour departs from Kodiak Island via private charter flight to our home for the next week. The comfortable, spacious and specifically designed 70′ boat will be our mobile home base for the week with our experienced Captain who has been in the bear viewing/photography business for over 20 years. The Park and the Alaska Peninsula simply offers the world’s greatest brown bear photography. This mobility provides flexibility to move with tides and weather and to see a variety of different bears and possibly seals, sea otters, eagles and orcas.
Landscape photography is impressive as well. The great mountains of the Katmai Coast form an impressive backdrop for the wildlife images. The mountains of the Alaska Range provide a backdrop and the beauty of the Katmai coast make this a fantastic place for those ‘bears in the landscape’ type shots.
- An informative online webinar presentation that covers wildlife photography composition tips, camera settings, recommended gear and clothing, and an illustrative slideshow of brown bear photos to prepare you to maximize your camera’s potential while shooting.
- Travel in a small group with 2 professional wildlife photographers and a renowned Alaskan Captain steering the best charter boat in the business for bear viewing.
- 1 night accommodation in Kodiak, Alaska before the boat trip.
- 6 nights accommodations on a comfortable, spacious and specifically designed 70′ boat. Private chartered boat gives us the mobility to go where the action is. All first-rate accommodations on the boat (double occupancy) with sleeping quarters in comfortable cabins.
- 5 full days plus 2 half days of shooting.
- Photograph coastal brown bears in their natural environment with beautiful mountain range backdrops. Opportunity to view other wildlife such as otters, whales, orcas and sea lions.
- All meals cooked fresh daily on the boat.
- Guiding services with a guide who has extensive experience in understanding bear body language, recognizing when to walk away and how to keep us safe and in formation in the field. Licensed and First Responder Certified.
- When we find a location that’s really ideal, we can stay there as long as we like!
- Photographic field instruction throughout the workshop. Post processing demonstration.
- Limited to only 8 photographers.
- Pre-trip online photography instruction webinar and planning handout
- Round trip charter flight from Kodiak to Katmai National Park.
- 7 nights double occupancy lodging (6 nights on the private chartered boat and 1 night at the hotel in Kodiak). Single supplement is not available aboard the boat. If traveling single you will be roomed with a same sex occupant.
- Plan to arrive in Kodiak, Alaska on July 17, 2020 and depart on July 24, 2020.
- Shuttle transportation to/from the hotel to the charter flight in Kodiak
- All meals while on the private charter boat
- Airfare to Kodiak, Alaska
- Meals while onshore in Kodiak, Alaska
- Extra nights in Kodiak in addition to July 17
- Any lodging in Anchorage
- Trip Insurance